November 11, 2013

OAFC Day 10: Grainy film

No comments:
 
Catch of the day: Grainy film
This morning was dedicated to the "grainy film" filter on my EM5 and I knew I was going to like this mode before I even started out with it. I suppose this is another film emulator and the filter produces overall high contrast black and white images with grain added into the mix. After my first couple test shots, I was immediately smitten and this is probably my favorite filter out of the bunch. I guess it is because it falls in line with my style of photography. All the photos below were taken with my new body cap macro. I switched out this lens for my 50mm f/1.8 for about 10 minutes today, but I couldn't help but switch back because I was having a lot of fun taking close up shots. I will be writing instructions and a "review" of this hack (probably 2 parts) in the next couple of days so stay tuned if interested.

Resistance, 15mm, f/8, 1/30, iso 200
Goodyear, 15mm, f/8, 1/750, iso 3200
Anisoptera, 15mm, f/8, 1/250, iso 200
WW, 15mm f/8, 1/500, iso 1250
Catch fire, 15mm, f/8, 1/30, iso 200
This filter adds grain to photos so the out of focus regions seem a bit rough, but the bokeh in RAW versions is surprisingly smooth. Also, this is more of a property of the makeshift lens I was using, but focusing in this mode was a bit difficult. I have estimated the DOF of the body cap macro to be around 1mm and in grainy black and white it was hard to pinpoint where exactly that mm lies. I took the opportunity to photograph the dead dragonflies I encountered for my upcoming "review" but for this I had to switch out of grainy film mode in order to ensure I actually achieved focus where I wanted it. However even through the "difficulties" I really enjoyed using this filter and was very happy with the results!!! Tomorrow is the final day of the challenge and I will be in "pale and light color" mode =) I am so excited that this project is almost complete!!! Thanks for dropping by today and come back tomorrow for the "grand finale and probably more BCL macro!!!

Sam D.

More sample photos:







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff