November 07, 2013

OAFC Day 5: Diorama

No comments:
 
Catch of the day: Diorama
Using the "diorama" filer on the EM5 today was interesting.. In this mode, photos exhibit an increase in saturation and contrast similar to, but not as dramatic as the pop art filter. In addition, it blurs the top and bottom of the frame which works to emulate a tilt shift lens. This added blur was neat especially when I used it with the 15mm body cap lens because it has a large depth of field and everything in the frame is usually always in focus. When I used it with my 50mm legacy lens it enhanced the already blurred areas and the effect was less noticeable/more natural. I was also able to photograph a peregrine falcon with my kit zoom but here I had to be very careful that it was in the middle of the frame so that it's head was not blurred. An interesting feature to note is that if you turn your camera sideways the blur does not follow suit.. In other words the left and right hand part of the frame become blurred. Today was crew change and due to helicopters I wasn't able to go on the back deck but I still came back with a few interesting photos.

The hunter, 150 mm, f/8, 1/500, iso 200 
Cumulus, 15mm, f/8, 1/250, iso 200
Vat, 15mm, f/8, 1/250, iso 200
Chopper, 150mm, f/8, 1/1000, iso 200
Scaffold, 15mm, f/8, 1/350, iso 320
As I was using this filter today I couldn't help but think how much it felt like "soft focus" and "pop art" had a baby. It was entertaining and I will probably experiment with it in the future... especially with the body cap lens! One thing that would make this filter out of this world would be if you could change the shape and size of the out of focus area, but as is, its still a lot of fun. Hope you enjoyed some of these and thanks for dropping by =)

Sam D

More sample photos:







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff